Royal Canin Renal is designed to aid in the management of chronic kidney disease in cats. It may also be used in the prevention of urate and cystine bladder stones.
Formulated to support renal function in the case of chronic kidney disease, the Renal range contains EPA and DHA, a complex of antioxidants and a low phosphorus level. An adapted content of high quality protein helps reduce kidney workload while alkalinizing agents maintain metabolic equilibrium which can help prevent metabolic acidosis which can occur a result of chronic renal disease. Importantly, the renal range is highly palatable and tested and designed with an aromatic profile to help answer to cat’s specific preference.
Signs of kidney failure can include:
- Increased thirst
- Increased urination
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
Dietary therapy is the mainstay of treatment for kidney failure. Unfortunately chronic kidney failure is a progressive condition, so treatment is aimed at slowing its progression and reducing the symptoms. Damaged kidneys lose their ability to concentrate urine and maintain normal fluid balance in the body. This results in dehydration, which can cause kidney function to deteriorate further. Increasing the water intake of pets with kidney failure is crucial to reduce the workload of the kidney and maintain its protective mechanisms. This can be done by ensuring that pets with kidney failure have free and unlimited access to fresh water, and also by offering wet food as part of the diet.
Chronic kidney failure results in failure of the normal hormonal mechanisms that control blood phosphorus levels. High levels of phosphorus in the blood can cause kidney injury and hasten the progression of kidney failure. Dietary phosphorus restriction has been clinically proven to prolong the survival times of cats and dogs with kidney failure and may also slow the deterioration of kidney function.
An important function of the kidneys is to filter the waste products of dietary protein out of the blood and into the urine. In kidney failure these waste products are not able to be filtered efficiently, causing them to accumulate in the bloodstream. This results in many of the symptoms of kidney failure including vomiting, lethargy and loss of appetite. Reducing the amount of protein in the diet of cats and dogs with kidney failure has been proven to result in a rapid improvement of symptoms and it may also help to slow the diseases progression. While reducing the protein level in the diet of pets with kidney failure is crucial, there still needs to be enough protein present to meet the bodys nutritional demands.
The kidney is a complex organ with many functions which means that kidney failure can result in many different kinds of complications, including the development of high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease and loss of lean muscle mass. Because of the risk of development of high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease, diets for pets with kidney failure should have moderate levels of sodium. The mechanisms of lean muscle mass loss in pets with kidney failure are complex and not fully understood, but may be due to altered blood acid-base balance due to accumulation of waste products, as well as reduced appetite.
Royal Canin Renal is formulated to support kidney function in cats with chronic kidney failure. It contains adapted levels of high quality protein to help reduce circulating waste products and help reduce symptoms of kidney failure. In addition, its controlled phosphorus levels help to slow the progression of kidney failure, and high levels of the Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA help improve glomerular filtration rate, an indicator of kidney function. Royal Canin Renal is also designed to counteract the altered blood-base balance that can occur during kidney failure and is formulated with an appealing aromatic profile to encourage cats to eat.
- Adapted levels of high quality protein to reduce circulating waste products and improve symptoms
- Low phosphorus levels to slow progression of kidney failure
- Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA from fish oil to improve glomerular filtration rate
- Designed to counteract the altered blood acid-base balance that can occur during kidney failure
- Appealing aromatic profile to encourage eating
Not recommended for pregnancy, lactation, or growing kittens.
Why is Royal Canin one of the best foods you can feed your cat?
- 50 Years of research and development go into creating a Royal Canin diet.
- Royal Canin diets are Complete and Balanced. A balanced, high quality diet can actually increase their life expectancy! The nutrients in each Royal Canin diet are specifically tailored to meet the needs of each individual animal. Protein, fat, carbohydrate, energy, vitamin and mineral levels are all carefully balanced.
- High quality ingredients provide the nutrients your pet needs. Pet foods often have an ingredients list and a nutritional analysis available on the packaging. It is important to understand that ingredients and nutrients are very different things!
Ingredients and nutrients are both very important, however it is the nutrient (e.g. protein) that is vital to the body’s needs, not the ingredient (e.g. chicken). The quality of a diet should not be determined by the ingredient list. Super Premium quality diets ensure the correct ingredients are selected to provide the optimal nutrient blend for your pet.
No single ingredient is superior to another; the sum of all ingredients in a diet delivers the overall nutritional profile. The quality of the ingredients may however differ between diets, and can help explain the price difference between a super premium diet and a more economical product. The better the quality of the ingredient selected in a diet, the easier it is for the cat or dog to absorb and use the nutrients.
- Royal Canin foods are highly palatable
Royal Canin diets are carefully designed right down to different kibble shapes and wet food textures to appeal to even the fussiest of pets. There is even a money back guarantee, if your pet doesn’t enjoy their new bag of Royal Canin simply return it to the store it was purchased from for a full refund.
- Royal Canin diets cater for every life stage. From development and growth, to adulthood and old age, diets in the extensive Royal Canin range contain every nutrient that pets need at their different life stages. Some Royal Canin ranges also have targeted nutrients that can help with specific health sensitivities such as gastrointestinal, skin and weight issues. Royal Canin Breed Ranges are even more specific and have nutrients that focus on the health issues experienced by different breeds.
- Quality in means less quantity out!
Royal Canin diets are highly digestible – this means better quality and fewer stools for owners to clean up! Continuing a new puppy or kitten on their current Royal Canin diet will also reduce digestive stress and upset, helping them to transition to their new home more easily.